After studying this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe the components involved in the experience of emotion.
- Describe the role of facial expressions in emotional experience. Discuss the role of social contexts.
- Using research evidence, discuss the involvement of the right and left hemispheres, the amygdala, and the cerebral cortex in the experience and expression of emotion.
- Explain why most researchers do not believe the polygraph test is a valid way to ascertain whether a person is lying.
- Explain and provide an example of the role of cognition in experiencing emotion.
- Summarize the conclusions of research related to the historic mind-body conflict.
- Distinguish between primary and secondary emotions and describe contradictory views on primary emotions.
- Discuss how culture can influence the experience and expression of emotion.
- Compare and contrast emotional experience and expression in men and women.