After studying this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe how behavior is influenced by roles, norms and obedience.
- Summarize the principles and components of attribution theory.
- Define attitudes including a discussion of the relationship of attitudes to behavior and factors influencing attitudes.
- List and describe factors that influence an individuals behavior in a group.
- Describe conditions that influence when a person is likely to dissent from a group or demonstrate altruistic behavior.
- Define ethnocentrism and explain its consequences.
- Explain the benefits and drawbacks to the use of stereotypes.
- Identify factors that lead to the formation and maintenance of prejudice.
- Discuss approaches for reducing prejudice and conflict between groups.