After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the divisions of the nervous system.
- Describe the structure of a neuron and explain how neurons communicate.
- Describe the following types of chemical messengers in the nervous system: neurotransmitters, endorphins, and hormones.
- Compare and contrast techniques to study brain activity.
- Outline the regions of the human brain.
- Summarize the research on split-brain studies.
- Discuss psychological and biological explanations of dreams.
- Explain the debate about how or if the sense of self is connected to physiological processes in the brain.
- Discuss the controversy surrounding research on sex differences in the brain.