Social Psychology and Health
- Define the biopsychosocial model of health and illness, and discuss the
role of psychological factors in the prevention of illness.
- Explain the role of health attitudes such as health value, perceptions of
threat, belief in personal vulnerability, self-efficacy, and response
efficacy in determining health behaviors.
- Describe the relationship between appraisal, stress, and health, and
indicate what kinds of appraisals are most stressful.
- Describe the relationship of major life events, daily hassles, and
chronic stressors to health outcomes.
- Identify the criteria for successful coping, and indicate which coping
styles and behaviors are most likely to lead to success.
- Describe the role of social psychological factors in the interpretation
of physical symptoms.
- Explain why patient adherence to medical recommendations is low,
and how it can be improved.
- Describe the factors that determine how well people cope with