After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the general theories of human motivation.
- Discuss Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Identify the type of needs at each level of the pyramid.
- Examine the biological and psychological factors in regulating hunger.
- Discuss the consequences of the hunger motive, including obesity and eating disorders.
- Summarize the research on sexual practices and what conclusions can be drawn from these findings about sexual motivation.
- Identify and describe the stages of the human sexual-response cycle.
- Define sexual orientation, identify the prevalence of homosexuality, and summarize the research on the origins of homosexuality.
- Identify and describe two types of belongingness motives.
- Identify and describe two types of esteem motives.
- Explain the role of expectancy theory in motivating people at work.
- Compare and contrast intrinsic and extrinsic motivation as they apply to motivating people at work.
- Explain how equity theory accounts for worker motivation.