After completing this chapter you should be able to:
- Outline the divisions of the nervous system.
- Identify and describe the elements and functions of the endocrine system.
- Explain the structure of a neuron and identify and define three types of neurons.
- Describe neural impulses and their transmission and explain how neurons communicate.
- Compare and contrast tools that behavioral neuroscientists use to study brain activity and function.
- Outline the regions of the human brain and how they are distinguished from one another.
- State the various brain structures and describe the functions of each.
- Summarize the research on split brain studies.
- Discuss cerebral lateralization of function.
- Discuss the brain's capacity for growth and reorganization.
- Examine developments in the ability to repair the damaged brain.