Social and Personality Development in...
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the development of self-concept and self-esteem during adolescence.
- Explain the impact of gender, race, and ethnicity in adolescence.
- Explain Erik Erikson's and James Marcia's approaches to identify formation during adolescence.
- Describe the difficulties adolescents face as they deal with the stresses of adolescence, focusing particularly on depression and suicide.
- Discuss changes in relationships with family and peers during adolescence.
- Explain the impact of peer pressure and the functions of peer relationships during adolescence.
- Describe what it means to be popular and unpopular as an adolescent.
- Discuss the functions and characteristics of dating during adolescence.
- Describe sexual attitudes and behavior during adolescence, noting the impact of gender and culture.
- Review the research on causes of sexual orientation.