Cognitive Development in Adolescence
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain Piagetian approaches to cognitive development.
- Describe cultural influences on formal operations.
- Learn the consequences of adolescents' use of formal operations.
- Evaluate Piaget's approach.
- Describe information-processing perspectives.
- Explain the relation between metacognition and cognitive advances in adolescence.
- Describe adolescents' self-absorption.
- Explain Kohlberg's theory of moral development.
- Evaluate Kohlberg's theory.
- Explain Gilligan's theory of moral development.
- Evaluate Gilligan's theory.
- Describe school performance and cognitive development.
- Understand the relation between socioeconomic status and school performance.
- Explain ethnic and racial differences in school achievement.
- Describe the relation between attributions and beliefs about academic success.
- Understand the affect of the Internet and World Wide Web on the lives of adolescents.
- Describe school drop out.
- Learn about college participation by minority students.
- Understand gender and college performance.
- Learn about single-sex colleges.
- Learn how to overcome gender and racial barriers to achievement.
- Understand Ginzberg's theory of career choice.
- Learn Holland's six personality traits.
- Understand gender and career choices.
- Learn guidelines for choosing a career.