Physical Development in Adolescence
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the physical changes occurring during adolescence.
- Discuss some of the reactions to the physical changes in adolescence.
- Explain the causes and effects of timing of maturation.
- Identify some of the cultural and gender differences in the causes and consequences of early and late maturation.
- Identify the nutritional needs of adolescents.
- Discuss the causes and effects of obesity, anorexia, and bulimia.
- Discuss the causes and effects of stress during adolescence, and explain effective stress management techniques.
- Identify the major threats to the health and well-being of adolescents.
- Discuss the extent, causes, and consequences of adolescent drug use.
- Explain the dangers associated with adolescent sexual practices.
- Explain cultural differences in the rate of HIV/AIDS infections.