Physical Development in Middle Childhood
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe physical development in middle childhood.
- Explain the link of nutrition to overall functioning.
- Learn about childhood obesity.
- Understand how to encourage children to become more physically active.
- Describe health during middle childhood.
- Explain asthma and its causes.
- Describe psychological disorders in middle childhood.
- Explain the controversy of using antidepressants to treat childhood psychological disorders.
- Describe gross and fine motor skills in middle childhood.
- Understand the social benefits of physical competence.
- Explain threats to children's safety.
- Describe sensory difficulties and their prevalence.
- Understand learning disabilities in middle childhood.
- Describe attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Describe mainstreaming and full inclusion of children with special needs.