Social and Personality Development in...
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe Erik Erikson's stages of psychosocial development that are associated with the preschool years.
- Discuss how growing up in an individualistic culture is different from a collectivist culture.
- Explain how children develop a sense of racial and ethnic identity.
- Explain the development of gender identity.
- Explain the biological, psychoanalytic, social learning, and cognitive approaches to the development of gender identity.
- Describe the different types of play observed during the early part of the preschool years.
- Explain the social aspects of play and the types of play exhibited in the latter part of the preschool years.
- Explain the development of preschoolers' theory of mind.
- Discuss the relationship between parenting styles and social and personality development in early childhood.
- Explain the role that culture and historical era plays in determining parental style.
- Explain Piaget's view of moral development.
- Describe how children's moral reasoning develops throughout the preschool years.
- Discuss the nature of aggressive behavior during the preschool years.
- Explain the roots of aggression.
- Explain how antisocial, aggressive behavior can be reduced.