Social and Personality Development in...
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand how infants experience emotions.
- Explain stranger anxiety and separation anxiety.
- Describe smiling in infancy and infants' abilities to understand others' facial and vocal expressions.
- Define and explain social referencing.
- Understand the development of self in infancy.
- Describe children's theory of mind.
- Define attachment and how it is measured.
- Understand how attachment is developed.
- Explain how culture affects attachment.
- Understand the processes that underlie the development of relationships during infancy.
- Describe how sociable infants are with other children.
- Explain Erikson's theory of personality development in infancy.
- Understand temperament.
- Explain gender and its influence on development.
- Describe family life in the 21st century.
- Understand research on the effects of child care.