After studying Chapter 6, your students should be able to:
- Summarize the basic structure of law in the United States and its relevance to the practice of public relations.
- Outline the major principles of First Amendment protection adjudication by the U.S. Supreme Court, applying the hierarchy of speech protection relevant to the speech, press, assembly, and petition provisions.
- Describe permissible federal regulation of First Amendment protected expression in key areas of public relations practiceelection communication, lobbying, communication between labor and management, and financial public relations/investor relations.
- Outline constitutional protection and permissible federal regulation of these segments of intellectual property law most relevant to public relations workcopyright and trademark law.
- Define and explain the major provisions of libel law and privacy law relevant to public relations work.