After studying Chapter 5, your students should be able to:
- Discuss the philosophical basis of public relations ethics.
- Explain utilitarian and deontological approaches to ethical decision making.
- Identify the major motivations behind concern for professional ethics in public relations practice.
- List and briefly discuss the five positives of socially responsible public relations, as well as the three major negatives attributed to public relations when it is not practiced in the public interest.
- Outline the major arguments for and against licensing and accreditation of practitioners.
- List and describe the major professional organizations serving the field.
- Outline and apply some of the major articles from the Public Relations Society of America Code of Professional Standards.