Chapter 16 reviews population, ecology, and urbanization from a sociological point of view. It will first introduce you to measures of fertility, mortality, and migration. You will then study the relationship between population growth and the environment from a variety of perspectives. Finally, you will briefly study the process of urbanization.
After studying this chapter, you should be able to
- Interpret the effect of the Great Social Transformation on population, ecology, and urbanization.
- Understand the demographic concepts of fertility, mortality, and migration.
- Recognize the components and the impact of the demographic transition.
- Understand the connection between population growth and the environment.
- Learn the similarities and differences among theories of population growth.
- Identify historical and contemporary processes affecting cities.