After reading this chapter, you should gain an understanding and appreciation of:
- How people apply meaning to their experiences and why this is important as we move through adulthood.
- Spiritual and moral development across the lifespan.
- The role of spirituality and religious participation over adulthood.
- The developmental of meaning systems over adulthood (Kohlberg and Fowler).
- Ways that meaning is integrated into personality (Kegan's Synthesizing Idea and Stages of Mystical Experience).