After reading this chapter, you should gain an understanding and appreciation of:
- The importance of work in adulthood including career development and gender differences in career patterns.
- The different factors that contribute to the selection of a career (e.g., personality, gender, etc.).
- The ability to describe age-related differences across the domains of job performance, effectiveness of training and retraining, and job satisfaction.
- The interface between work and personal life.
- Relevant issues regarding retirement.