After reading, studying, and discussing Chapter 15, you should be able to:
- Define deformation and stress as they pertain to altering rock.
- Explain the differences between confining pressure, differential stress, compressional stress, tensional stress, shear, and strain.
- Discuss how rocks deform and distinguish among elastic deformation, ductile deformation, and brittle deformation.
- Find the orientation of a rock layer or fault surface using the measurements strike and dip.
- Describe the major features of folds and identify the various types of folds.
- List and describe the various types of faults.
- Explain the difference between a fault and a joint.