Fires Within: Igneous Activity
We have made a concerted effort to search the Web for relevant material, but no matter how hard we try there will always be more information available than we can possibly examine.
However, the following list contains links to many of the most interesting and informative Web sites related to topics explored in the chapter that we were able to locate. Check them out, but make sure you come back to do more investigating when you're done.
- Alaska Volcano Observatory (USGS)
- The Alaska Volcano Observatory site features information on current volcanic activity in Alaska as well as numerous links to volcano related websites.
- Ask a Geologist (USGS)
- Have a geological question? Here is your chance to ask it.
- Calderas and the Valles Caldera
- This site includes an explanation of caldera formation with views of the Valles caldera ofNew Mexico and other calderas.
- Cascades Volcano Observatory (USGS)
- The USGS Cascade Volcano Observatory site features extensive information, graphics, and images on most of the world's major volcanoes.
- Disaster Finder (NASA)
- Here is a complete index to the best disaster Web sites on the Internet.
- Electronic Volcano (Dartmouth College)
- Here is an excellent site with a wealth of information and numerous links to related sites.
- EOS Volcanology Team (NASA)
- This is the home page of NASA's Earth Observing System (EOS) Interdisciplinary Science Volcanology Team.
- Global Volcanism Program (Smithsonian Institution)
- The Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Program (GVP) seeks better understanding of all volcanoes through documenting their eruptions--small as well as large--during the past 10,000 years.
- Hawaii Center for Volcanology
- Here is a great site to begin exploring volcanoes.
- Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (USGS)
- This site provides a weekly newsletter for the general public written by scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.
- Hazards (USGS)
- United States Geological Survey (USGS) hazard fact sheets can be found here.
- Hydrothermal Vents (Black Smokers)
- This site enables viewers to follow the events of an international team of scientists as they explore hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor at the Juan de Fuca ridge off the coast of Washington and Oregon.
- Japan's Volcano Research Center
- Current volcanic activity in Japan is featured along with reports on major Japanese volcanoes.
- Kilauea Eruption Update
- Daily eruption updates from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.
- Mt. Rainier: An Interactive Learning Module
- This online, interactive lesson studies the hazards posed by Mt. Rainier, a mainland volcano near Seattle, WA.
- Photoglossary of Volcanic Terms (USGS)
- This site includes photos with descriptions of volcanic features and igneous rocks.
- Volcanic Hazard Information (USGS)
- The United States Geological Survey (USGS) page on volcanoes and volcanic hazards features links to several related articles and sites.
- Volcanic Hazards, Features, and Phenomena Glossary
- This site has volcano information from the United States Geologic Survey.
- Volcanic Hazards Mitigation
- Volcanic hazards mitigation from Michigan Technical University can be found here.
- This is a g good source for volcano links, including information about most of the world's major volcanoes.
- Volcanoes & Igneous Rocks Links (NAGT)
- This site provides an extensive listing of volcano and igneous rock links arranged by topic from the National Association of Geology Teachers (NAGT).
- Volcanoes: Remote Sensing
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Earth Observing System volcanology team home page offers information about the project activities of the NASA Earth Observing System (EOS) Interdisciplinary Science (IDS) Investigation Volcanology Team.
- Volcano Facts
- This site has volcano facts from Volcano World.
- Volcano Hot Links Page
- Hotlinks to volcano sites from Michigan Technical University can be found here.
- Volcano Information Center (VIC)
- The purpose of the Volcano Information Center (VIC) is to provide links to sites that are resources for data not contained in VIC and to inform the user about general volcanology in an organized way, including features of volcanoes, volcanic eruptions and volcanic hazards.
- This site contains educational information on volcanoes and vulcanology from NASA's Earth Observing System (EOS).
- Volcano Photo Gallery (USGS)
- This site offers a very large assortment of volcano and volcano related features photographs.
- Volcano Satellite Images (NASA)
- Satellite radar images of major world volcanoes from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) can be found here.
- VolcanoWatch (USGS)
- Volcano Watch is a weekly newsletter written by the scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.
- Volcano World sponsored by NASA is an excellent site that offers a wealth of information about volcanoes and links to numerous related sites.
Photo/Figure Credits (In Order of Appearance)
- Lava Fountain Photo (USGS), (Courtesy of USGS)
- Fissure Eruption, Mauna Loa Volcano Photo (USGS), (Courtesy of USGS)
- Popocatepetl Volcano Photo (USGS), (Courtesy of USGS)
- Aerial View of Great Dike, Zimbabwe, Africa Photo (NASA), (Courtesy of NASA)
- Igneous Features Diagram, (Copyright © Tasa Graphic Arts, Inc.)
- West Flank of Pu'u'oo Cone, Hawaii Photo (USGS), (Courtesy of USGS)
- Aerial View of Mount Rainier, Washington Photo (NASA), (Courtesy of NASA)
- False Color Aerial View of Tambora Volcano, Indonesia Photo (NASA), (Courtesy of NASA)