Minerals: Building Blocks of Rocks
After reading, studying, and discussing Chapter 1, you should be able to:
- Explain the difference between a mineral and a rock.
- Describe the basic structure of an atom, and explain how atoms combine.
- List the most important elements that compose Earth's continental crust.
- Explain isotopes and radioactivity.
- Describe the physical properties of minerals and how they can be used for mineral identification.
- List the basic compositions and structures of the silicate minerals.
- List the economic use of some nonsilicate minerals.
- Distinguish between mineral resources, reserves, and ores.