After studying the material of this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Convert from joules to calories and kilocalories and vice versa.
2. Distinguish between the concepts of temperature and heat.
3. Explain what is meant by specific heat, latent heat of fusion, and latent heat of vaporization.
4. Apply the law of conservation of energy to problems involving calorimetry.
5. Distinguish the three ways that heat transfer occurs: conduction, convection, and radiation.
6. Solve problems involving the rate of heat transfer by convection and radiation.