After studying the material of this chapter, you should be able to:
1. State Newton's three laws of motion and give examples that illustrate each law.
2. Explain what is meant by the term net force.
3. Use the methods of vector algebra to determine the net force acting on an object.
4. Define each of the following terms: mass, inertia, weight and distinguish between mass and weight.
5. Identify the SI units for force, mass, and acceleration.
6. Draw an accurate free body diagram locating each of the forces acting on an object or a system of objects.
7. Use free body diagrams and Newton's laws of motion to solve word problems.