After reading Chapter 20, you should be able to:
- Define the concept of biogeographic realms of plants and animals and define ecotone, terrestrial ecosystem, and biome.
- Define six formation classes and the life-form designations, and explain their relationships to plant communities.
- Describe ten major terrestrial biomes and locate them on a world map.
- Relate human impacts, real and potential, to several of the biomes.
- Define succession, and outline the stages of general ecological succession in both terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.