The Geography of Soils
After reading Chapter 18, you should be able to:
- Define soil and soil science, and describe a pedon, polypedon, and typical soil profile.
- Describe soil properties of color, texture, structure, consistence, porosity, and soil moisture.
- Explain basic soil chemistry, including cation-exchange capacity, and relate these concepts to soil fertility.
- Evaluate principal soil formation factors, including the human element.
- Describe the 12 soil orders of the Soil Taxonomy classification system, and explain their general occurrence.