The Dynamic Planet
After reading Chapter 8, you should be able to:
- Distinguish between the endogenic and exogenic systems, determine the driving force for each, and explain the pace at which these systems operate.
- Diagram Earth's interior in cross section and describe each distinct layer.
- Illustrate the geologic cycle and relate the rock cycle and rock types to endogenic and exogenic processes.
- Describe Pangea and its breakup, and relate several physical proofs that crustal drifting is continuing today.
- Portray the pattern of Earth's major plates and relate this pattern to the occurrence of earthquakes, volcanic activity, and hot spots.