Foundations of Geography
After reading Chapter 1, you should be able to:
- Define geography and physical geography in particular.
- Describe systems analysis and open and closed systems, and relate these concepts to Earth systems.
- Explain Earth's reference grid: latitude and longitude, and latitudinal geographic zones and time.
- Define cartography and mapping basics: map scale and map projections.
- Describe remote sensing and explain geographic information systems (GIS) as tools used in geographic analysis.