Telescopes: The Tools of Astronomy
- Sketch and describe how an optical telescope works.
- Explain why large telescopes are needed for astronomical studies, and specify the advantages of reflecting telescopes for astronomical use.
- Describe how Earths atmosphere limits astronomical observations, and discuss some techniques used by ground-based astronomers to overcome these limitations.
- Discuss some advantages and disadvantages of radio astronomy.
- Describe how interferometry can enhance the usefulness of radio and other observations.
- Discuss the advantages, limitations, and chief uses of infrared, ultraviolet, and high-energy astronomies.
- Explain why it is important to make astronomical observations at many different wavelengths across the electromagnetic spectrum.