The Copernican Revolution: The Birth of...
- Explain the changing appearance of the Moon, and how the relative motions of Earth, the Sun, and the Moon lead to eclipses.
- Discuss how the observed motions of the planets led to our modern view of a Sun-centered solar system.
- Sketch the major contributions of Galileo and Kepler to the development of our understanding of the solar system.
- State Keplers laws of planetary motion.
- Explain how astronomers have measured the true size of the solar system.
- State Newtons laws of motion and his law of universal gravitation, and explain how they enable us to measure the masses of astronomical bodies.