The Major Philosophies
As you study the philosophies outlined in this chapter, you may begin to question your personal philosophy. To help you better understand the philosophies and where your personal philosophy fits within that framework, consider the following objectives:
- Explain the relationship between general philosophy and the philosophy of education.
- Discuss the three approaches to the study of philosophy.
- Describe the three branches of philosophy.
- Compare the metaphysics of idealism, realism, neo-Thomism, pragmatism, and existentialism.
- Compare the epistemology of idealism, realism, neo-Thomism, pragmatism, and existentialism.
- Compare the axiology of idealism, realism, neo-Thomism, pragmatism, and existentialism.
- Identify the philosophies that take an optimistic view of human nature and those that take a pessimistic view.
- Explain philosophic analysis in education.
- Contrast philosophic analysis with the descriptive study of philosophy.
- Discuss your philosophy of life and how it has changed over time.