Establishing classroom rules and routines is one of the most important tasks teachers must accomplish every year. If teachers are successful in establishing rules and routines, many behavior problems and class management issues may be avoided.
Five key principles for establishing classroom rules and routines are:
- Include students in rule-making. Acknowledge students’ feelings about rules. They need to see rules as fair and sensible.
- Explain rules and routines clearly. Deliberately teach rules and routines to students in the first few weeks.
- Provide reasons for the rules. Have as few rules as possible, and present them to students in a positive and informative way.
- Practice routines with students. Plan in advance how you will establish rules and routines. Then do so right from the start.
- Enforce the rules and routines. Enforce your classroom rules immediately, consistently, and fairly.