Creative Arts: Visual Arts, Music, Dance, and Drama
- Creative arts instruction results in significant benefits for students, in academics as well as the arts.
- Creative arts opportunities in many schools are presented in ways that reduce their effectiveness for students with disabilities.
- Most creative arts activities are suitable for students with disabilities provided that teachers plan and implement adequate instructional adaptations.
- Some general instructional principles for teaching creative arts to students with disabilities include making lessons integrated, student-centered and age appropriate.
- Creative arts activities are not only useful for creative expression but also form the foundation for other skill development (e.g., writing skills, fine motor skills).