Social Competence and Self-Determination Skills
- Attitudes and approaches to the teaching of students with disabilities have changed dramatically for the better over the past 30 years.
- As researchers worked to promote the success of students with disabilities, they realized that certain personal self-determination skills were not being learned.
- Definitions of social competence, problem solving, and self-determination have changed over the years in accordance with research findings.
- Many commercial programs exist to aid teachers with the instruction and assessment of social competence and self-determination skills.
- Direct instruction and structured learning are the main forms of instruction used in teaching social competence and self-determination.
- Skills acquisition is only half of the journey for learning. Students must be able to generalize what they have learned to different situations, environments, people, and over time.