Reading: Introduction and Word Recognition
- There is no one universal method of reading instruction that is effective with all groups.
- Teachers' consistent, direct, personal involvement in reading instruction is the single most important influence in achievement.
- Approaches to teaching reading currently focus on whole language vs. decoding- based programs.
- Phonological awareness is a critical skill for teaching students experiencing reading difficulties.
- Sight-word vocabulary is a key component of instruction for students with reading problems.