Education for Learners with Special Needs
- Compare and contrast IDEA, Section 504, ADA, and NCLB under a list of headings (e.g., purpose, evaluation process, target groups, major provisions). Present them in table format for easy reference.
- Develop a graphic organizer or chart that outlines the six major components of IDEA.
- Debate the various ethical questions that have become so important for teachers in relation to their role as a professional (e.g., challenges associated with the promotion of self-determination, empowerment; characteristics of effective instruction, etc.).
- Effective teachers have many skills, including the ability to handle classroom management effectively and understand the basic principles of the learning process. Brainstorm a list of ideas that you hold important for effective teaching.
- Hold a mock IEP meeting in class, assigning various roles to the class members and using made-up information to determine the eligibility of a student for special education. Discuss the role of the parent, difficulties in reaching a consensus on diagnosis and implications for instruction.