Solid-State Switching Circuits
After studying the material in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe and analyze the operation of the basic BJT, JFET, and MOSFET switches.
- List the common time and frequency characteristics of rectangular waveforms and describe how each is measured.
- List and describe the factors that affect BJT and FET switching time.
- Discuss the methods used to improve the switching times of basic BJT and FET circuits.
- Compare and contrast the time measurement techniques for inverters and buffers.
- Describe and analyze the operation of inverting Schmitt triggers and noninverting Schmitt triggers.
- List and describe the output characteristics of the three types of multivibrators.
- Describe the internal construction and operation of the 555 timer.
- Describe, analyze, and troubleshoot 555 timer astable and monostable multivibrators.
- Describe the operation of the 555 timer voltage-controller oscillator (VCO).