- List sources of laws and types of laws.
- Describe ways nurse practice acts, standards of care, and agency policies and procedures affect the scope of nursing practice.
- Compare and contrast the state-based licensure models and the mutual recognition model for multistate licensure.
- Describe the purpose and essential elements of informed consent.
- Describe the purpose of the following legislated acts: Good Samaritan acts and Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Discuss the impaired nurse and available diversion or peer assistance programs.
- Recognize the nurse's legal responsibilities with selected aspects of nursing practice.
- Differentiate crimes from torts and give examples in nursing.
- Discriminate between negligence and malpractice.
- Delineate the elements of malpractice.
- Compare and contrast intentional torts (assault/battery, false imprisonment, invasion of privacy, defamation) and unintentional torts (negligence, malpractice).
- Describe the purpose of professional liability insurance.
- List information that needs to be included in an incident report.
- Identify ways nurses and nursing students can minimize their chances of liability.