NFPA® Job Performance Requirements (JPR): 5.3.10, 6.3.1
- List methods that are used with fire streams to reduce the heat from a fire and provide protection to firefighters and exposures.
- Discuss the extinguishing properties of water.
- Describe friction loss.
- Define water hammer.
- Distinguish among characteristics of fire stream sizes.
- Discuss types of streams and nozzles.
- Discuss handling handline nozzles.
- Describe types of nozzle control valves.
- List checks that should be included in nozzle inspections.
- Operate a solid stream nozzle. (Skill Sheet 14-I-1)
- Operate a fog stream nozzle. (Skill Sheet 14-I-2)
- Operate a broken stream nozzle. (Skill Sheet 14-I-3)
- Describe the suppression characteristics of fire fighting foam.
- Define terms associated with types of foam and the foam-making process.
- Discuss how foam is generated.
- Discuss foam concentrates.
- Describe methods by which foam may be proportioned.
- Discuss foam proportioners.
- Discuss foam delivery devices.
- List reasons for failure to generate foam or for generating poor-quality foam.
- Describe foam application techniques.
- Discuss hazards associated with foam concentrates.
- Place a foam line in service — in-line eductor. (Skill Sheet 14-II-1)