After reading this chapter, the student should be able to:
- Explain theories for the cause of schizophrenia.
- Compare and contrast the positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Explain the importance of patient drug compliance in the pharmacotherapy of schizophrenia.
- Explain the symptoms associated with extrapyramidal side effects of antipsychotic drugs.
- Identify the most common degenerative diseases of the CNS.
- Describe symptoms of Parkinsons disease, Alzheimers disease, and multiple sclerosis.
- Explain the neurochemical basis for degenerative diseases of the CNS, focusing on the roles of important neurotransmitters in the brain.
- For each of the drug classes, know representative drug examples and explain their mechanism of action, primary actions, and important adverse effects.
- Explain the goals of pharmacotherapy and categorize drugs used in the treatment of psychosis and degenerative diseases based on their classification and drug action.