After reading this chapter, the student should be able to:
- Explain the role of complementary and alternative medicine in promoting patient wellness.
- Discuss the reasons why herbal products and dietary supplements have increased in popularity in recent years.
- Identify the parts of an herb that may contain active ingredients and the types of formulations made from these parts.
- Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994.
- Describe drug interactions and adverse effects that may be caused by herbal preparations.
- Explain how herbal products are sometimes standardized based on specific active ingredients.