After reading this chapter, the student should be able to:
- Discuss drug administration as a component of safe and effective healthcare.
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the nurse, nursing assistants, therapists, and technicians regarding drug administration.
- Explain how the six rights of drug administration impact patient safety.
- Give specific examples of how the healthcare provider can increase patient compliance in taking medications.
- Interpret abbreviations used in drug administration practices.
- Compare and contrast the three systems of measurement used in pharmacology.
- Explain the proper methods to administer enteral, topical, and parenteral drugs.
- Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of each route of drug administration.