After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
Recognize the importance of system integration and interoperability for health care delivery.
- Explain what an interface engine is and how it works.
- Identify several integration issues, including factors that impede the process.
- Discuss the relevance to system integration efforts of the data dictionary, master patient index, uniform language efforts, and clinical data repository.
- Consider how standards for the exchange of clinical data affect integration efforts.
- Review the benefits of successful information system integration for health care providers and health care professionals.
- Define the role of the nurse in system integration efforts.
- Understand how Web-based tools can provide an alternative method for obtaining patient information from diverse information systems.