After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the various etiologies and types of hearing impairments.
- Recognize the patient with a hearing impairment.
- Anticipate accommodations that may be needed in order to properly manage the patient with a hearing impairment.
- Describe the various etiologies and types, recognize patients with, and anticipate accommodations that may be needed in order to properly manage each of the following conditions:
- visual impairments
- speech impairments
- mental illness
- developmentally disabled
- Down syndrome
- emotional impairment
- emotional/mental impairment
- Describe, identify possible presenting signs, and anticipate accommodations for the following diseases/illnesses:
- cerebral palsy
- cystic fibrosis
- multiple sclerosis
- muscular dystrophy
- myasthenia gravis
- spina bifida
- patients with a previous head injury
- Define, recognize, and anticipate accommodations needed to properly manage patients who:
- are culturally diverse
- are terminally ill
- have a communicable disease
- have a financial impairment
- Given several challenged patients, provide the appropriate assessment, management, and transportation.