After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the incidence of abuse and assault.
- Describe the categories of abuse.
- Discuss examples of spouse, elder, child, and sexual abuse.
- Describe the characteristics associated with the profile of a typical spouse, elder, or child abuser and the typical assailant of sexual abuse.
- Identify the profile of the "at-risk" spouse, elder, and child.
- Discuss the assessment and management of the abused patient.
- Discuss the legal aspects associated with abuse situations.
- Identify community resources that are able to assist victims of abuse and assault.
- Discuss the documentation necessary when caring for abused and assaulted patients.