- Describe the general structure and functions of the endocrine system.
- Through the use of a specific example, explain the concept of negative feedback in the endocrine system.
- Describe the clinical applications of the hypothalamic and pituitary hormones.
- Explain the pharmacotherapy of diabetes insipidus.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
- Explain the pharmacotherapy of thyroid disorders.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of Addison’s disease and Cushing’s syndrome.
- Explain the pharmacotherapy of adrenal gland disorders.
- Describe the nurse’s role in the pharmacological management of pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal disorders.
- For each of the classes listed in Drugs at a Glance, know representative drugs, and explain the mechanisms of drug action, primary actions, and important adverse effects.
- Categorize drugs used in the treatment of endocrine disorders based on their classification and mechanism of action.
- Use the Nursing Process to care for clients who are receiving drug therapy for pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal disorders.