- Explain underlying causes of addiction.
- Compare and contrast psychological and physical dependence.
- Compare withdrawal syndromes for the various abused substance classes.
- Discuss how nurses can recognize drug tolerance in clients.
- Explain the major characteristics of abuse, dependence, and tolerance resulting from the following substances: alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, hallucinogens, CNS stimulants, sedatives, and
- Describe the role of the nurse in delivering care to individuals who have substance abuse issues.