- Define a medication error.
- Identify factors that contribute to medication errors.
- Explain the relationship of standards of care to reducing medication errors.
- Identify specific examples of the categories of medication errors.
- Describe the severity of different categories of medication errors.
- Explain how rules, policies, and procedures can help prevent medication errors.
- Describe the impact of a medication error on all aspects of an agency or institution, including clients, staff nurses, administrative personnel, departments, and hospital or corporation.
- Describe methods of reporting and documenting medication errors and incidents.
- Describe strategies that the nurse may implement to reduce medication errors and incidents
- Identify client teaching information that can be used to reduce medication errors and incidents.
- Identify efforts recommended by the FDA to monitor medication errors and incidents and provide information to healthcare providers.
- Explain strategies used by healthcare organizations to reduce the number of medication errors and incidents.