After reading this chapter and completing the exercises,
you will be able to do the following:
- Know the definition of athletic sports games and be familiar with the
types of challenges that these types of sports games offer.
- Understand the challenges of meeting players’ expectations about a
real-world game in a video game implementation.
- Know the basics of adapting a physical sports game mechanic to a virtual
- Understand the design complexities for physics, AI, and player skill
ratings required for a sports game.
- Use flowcharting to help define AI states within a sports game.
- Know the issues involved in licensing sports organizations, teams, and
players, including the use of names and images.
- Understand mapping known physical game play mechanics to
computer-human interface devices.