After reading this chapter and completing the exercises,
you will be able to do the following:
- Understand how level design can enhance or undermine a game’s story
- Know the difference between universal and genre-specific level design
- List the possible level layouts and understand when to use each and how
to combine them.
- Understand the importance of atmosphere, pacing, and progression.
- Describe the key aspects of the level design process.
- Recognize some of the pitfalls of level design, such as inappropriate
scope and conceptual non sequiturs.