After reading this chapter, you should be able to answer the following questions:
- From which types of viruses do I need to protect my computer? (pp. 411–414)
- What can I do to protect my computer from viruses? (pp. 414–417)
- How can hackers attack my computing devices, and what harm can they cause?
- What is a firewall, and how does it keep my computer safe from hackers? (pp. 421–425)
- How do I create secure passwords and manage all of my passwords? (pp. 425–428)
- How can I surf the Internet anonymously and use biometric authentication devices to
protect my data? (pp. 428–429)
- How do I manage online annoyances such as spyware and spam? (pp. 429–434)
- What data do I need to back up, and what are the best methods for doing so?
- What is social engineering, and how do I avoid falling prey to phishing and hoaxes?
- How do I protect my physical computing assets from environmental hazards, power
surges, and theft? (pp. 441–445)